- May 2020 – Pending further updates from conference organizers on whether the conference will be held, Principal Lan Ying Ip and Senior Associate Stacey Chapman plan to speak at the Tradeline University Facilities Conference in St. Petersburg, Florida. Their session is Faculty and student space: Reimagining traditional approaches to the adjacencies of classroom, office and collaboration spaces. Learn More.
- July 2020 – Sasaki principal Mary Anne Ocampo plans to lead a session at the 2020 National Association of College and University Business Officers Annual Meeting. Ocampo’s session will be detailed on the conference website as the event approaches.
- July 2020 – The Sasaki team anticipates having a robust presence at the 2020 Society of Campus and University Planning (SCUP) annual conference. Principals Tyler Patrick and Greg Havens will lead sessions, and senior associate Matt Langan will lead a tour of the Nord Family Greenway. More details will be available on the conference website as the date approaches.
Past Speaking Appearances
- March 2020 – Sasaki leaders were slated to lead sessions at the Society of Campus and University Planning (SCUP) Mid-Atlantic Conference. This conference was held virtually due to the Covid-19 outbreak. Principal Chris Sgarzi facilitated an online discussion, Planning with Athletics: Balancing Program Demand with Campus Mission and Culture. Panelists discussed how campus solutions can responsibly solve the significant programmatic needs of athletics while providing benefit to the entire campus community and reinforcing institutional missions; Sgarzi sees an opportunity to make new strategic associations that bridge the needs and goals of multiple entities on campus, including athletics, recreation, and student life. Senior Associate Julia Carlton MacKay and Associate Robert Sugar were also planning to speak about transforming space in their presentation, Re-centering Student Life at Lehigh: Maximizing the Impact of Integrated Planning. Carlton MacKay and Sugar will find another venue to share their thinking, as a virtual presentation was not feasible. Learn more.
- November 2019 – Planning principal Greg Havens presented Facilities Strategies for Student Success at the SCUP 2019 Mid-Atlantic conference. Panelists examined integrated campus planning and presented centers for experiential learning and innovation, a living-learning campus innovation district that brings together sciences and the arts, and a case study in student-guided planning. Learn more.
- October 2019 – Bill Massey, principal and chair of marketing, lead a session at the National Intramural-Recreational Sports Association (NIRSA) Region 1 conference in Boston, MA. Read more about the session, titled “How Gen Z is Redefining Recreation and Wellness on Campus” on our blog.
- August 2019 – Principal Tao Zhang spoke at the Better Education Environment Dynamic (BEED) conference in Shanghai, China. In his presentation, titled 21st Century Campus: a culture of sharing & exchange, Zhang demonstrated the power of evidence-informed design through the use of analytical data and visualization to facilitate integrated learning, living, and leisure spaces. Read more.
- July 2019 – A number of Sasaki principals led sessions at the annual Society of Campus and University Planning (SCUP) national conference. The appearances include campus tours and panel discussions on a number of topics, as well as a networking event. Read more.
- March 2019 – Architecture principal Chris Sgarzi moderated a panel discussion at NIRSA’s annual conference in Boston. “Bridging Departmental Divides to Enhance Campus Wellness” focused on innovative ways that recreation departments are reaching beyond traditional departmental boundaries to improve wellness programs. Read more.
- March 2019 – Planning principal Greg Havens presented at SCUP’s 2019 Mid-Atlantic regional conference, discussing Virginia Tech’s Creativity and Innovation District. Read more about Havens’ work. Havens also presented a popular session and one-day symposium at College Park Maryland, Beyond Boundaries: How Living-Learning Fuses Creativity, Innovation, and the Arts. In this session, presenters shared explicit, purposeful strategies for how to administer shared academic, arts, and campus life programs that foster interdisciplinary inquiry—again, delving into recent work with Virginia Tech.
- December 2018 – Principal Bill Massey lead a wellness panel at NIRSA’s Facilities conference in Miami, FL. The panel was titled “The Wellness Trend: Where It Stands and Where It’s Going”–read a recap on our blog.
- October 2018 – Chris Sgarzi, principal and architect lead a session on innovative ways to incorporate recreation into campuses at NIRSA’s Region 1 conference in Portsmouth, NH.